Microsoft SQL Server 2000 is a full-featured relational database management system that offers a variety of administrative tools to ease the burdens of database development, maintenance and administration. It operates in one of two authentication modes: Windows Authentication Mode (the default) or Mixed Mode.
When you install the SQL Server 2000, you can log in the server with Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication if you select mixed mode authentication. If you select Windows Authentication, you cannot assign a sa password during installation. However, you should set the sa password after installation.
It is very easy for one to set sa password in SQL 2000. Just follow the below steps:
* 1. Expand a server group, and then expand a server.
* 2. Expand Security, and then click Logins.
* 3. In the details pane, right-click SA, and then click Properties.
* 4. In the Password box, type the new password.
The type of client connections determines the choice of security mode. If all of the incoming clients support trusted connections, you can use Windows Authentication Mode. If some clients do not support trusted connections, you can select Mixed Mode.
If you forget the sa password, you will need to use MS SQL Server Password Unlocker to reset in 2000. MS SQL Server Password Unlocker is easy yet powerful SQL Server password reset software for you to reset SQL password, including reset SA password and other user passwords. It provides you an easy and safe way to reset for Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 in a minute. No need for you to reinstall MS SQL Server on your PC. The file in master.mdf format is enough for you to recover sa password SQL 2000.
Steps to reset sql 2000 password for sa as follows:
* 1. Download and install MS SQL Server Password Unlocker.
* 2. Click the application icon to run it.
* 3. Click Open to import your master.mdf file. All the user names of your MS SQL Server will be displayed.
* 4. Select sa account, click Change password button to reset sa password.
* 5. Type a new password, and then click OK to finish your operation.
Note: This method to reset sa password in sql server 2000 is usually applied when you cannot login SQL Server 2000 by Windows Authentication wile you forget system administrator login password.
More information about sa password:
According to Microsoft, System administrator (sa) is a special login provided for backward compatibility. By default, it is assigned to the sysadmin fixed server role and cannot be changed. Although sa is a built-in administrator login, do not use it routinely. Instead, make system administrators members of the sysadmin fixed server role, and have them log on using their own logins. Use sa only when there is no other way to log in to an instance of Microsoft SQL Server.